Saturday, 25 May 2019

Pop Out Birthday Card: Funky Foliage

For a change, I decided to make a pop out card.  I was interested to see how the Clarity aperture dies would work with this technique.  As you can see, they were the perfect size and I will definitely be trying this again.  I used the matching stencil on the front of the card.
For the dies to work with the pop out, I needed to work on an 8" x 8" card blank.  I laid the Funky Foliage die with the right hand side on the fold and ran it through my die cutting machine.
Having cleaned the die, I then replaced it on the other side of the fold, level with the first cut and ensuring that the left hand side of the die very slightly overlapped the first cut (I didn't want a line of card left between the two apertures).
Next, I used a score board to score the front and the back of the card in half.  I then folded it into a concertina.
To decorate the outside of the card, I added the matching stencil to a 7" x 7" piece of Clarity stencil card and brushed Twisted Citron Distress Oxide through the aperture with a stencil brush.  I brushed outwards from the top left hand corner each time.
Next, I added Peeled Paint Oxide in the same manner.
I then added Bundled Sage and Pumice Stone Oxides, focussing on the corners.
With the stencil still in place,  I stamped through the apertures using the script stamp from the journaling set and Peeled Paint Distress Oxide.  I held the stamp in my hand rather than using an acrylic block.
Next, I added further stamping in the same manner using the harlequin stamp from the same set and Pumice Stone Oxide.  I finished by adding more of the script stamp in Twisted Citron.
I stamped Happy Birthday in Watering Can Archival ink, using a stamp from the Art Nouveau sentiment set.  I then trimmed a little from each side of the stencilled image and matted the panel onto grey card.
To finish the inside of the card, I blended Mowed Lawn, Twisted Citron and Mustard Seed Oxides onto a piece of A4 super smooth card.  This had two strips of 4cm taken off one end and the remaining piece was folded in half.
Once glued to the inside of the outer card blank, the pop out section was added, ensuring the outer flaps of the pop out inner card lined up perfectly with the corners and edges of the outer card.
 
I used Versamark ink and the matching stamp from the funky foliage stamp set to add white heat embossing to the left over colourful strips.  These were added to dark green strips (5cm wide) and again onto some of the grey card as used on the front (6cm wide).
The strips were added towards the outer edges of the card inner and trimmed at the top to fit.
The stencilled piece was then added to the front of the card.
To finish the inside of the card, I die cut Happy Birthday using the sentiment from the Floral Frame dies of the same name twice, once from dark green and once from grey card.  These were matted together with the words offset and added to the inside of the card.







1 comment:

Sue C said...

The card looks absolutely fantastic, a definite mantlepiece card !! Thanks for sharing your step by step instructions. All I need now is a special birthday to make one for, need to check my diary !! Hope you have a great week as it is half term.