Friday 7 April 2017

Art Journal Prompts Week 14: Eastern Promise

I must admit, when I saw this prompt, my heart sank a little.  It is probably my least favourite style of crafting and I have very few resources apart from one or two sets of stamps.  The set that I ended up using has never seen ink before, but I must admit that by the end I was really pleased with the effect and the colour scheme.

Having covered the kraft card page with white gesso, I added Sandal and Peach Bellini Adirondack paint. I blended them out firstly with my fingers, then using a damp baby wipe to add texture.  I had looked through the only Oriental paper pad  that I own (DCWV 12"x12") for ideas of colour, even though I was not intending to use any of the papers themselves.

The next step was to add the first layer of stamping.  For this I chose both the bamboo stamps and all the character stamps from the A4 set by Crafty Ideas by Kaz.  I don't believe that the manufacturer still exists, as I have had these stamps for over 10 years and this was their first outing.  The images were stamped multiple times over the page using Tree Branch Archival ink.  If you look closely, you can see that I stamped two lots of the bamboo upside down.  However, as I was intending to add further images using gold embossing powder, it didn't matter.

I chose three of the images; the lantern, pagoda and dragon and stamped them using Versamark ink and Cosmic Shimmer bright gold detail embossing powder. 

I had stamped one of the kimono images onto Sheena's stamping card using Versamark ink and the same gold embossing powder.  I then coloured it using Aqua Tints (#12, #22, #30, #37) and a water brush.  It was then fussy cut for adding to the page at the end.  I was unsure how to add the text initially, although I was certain that I wanted to use my Claritystamp Word Chain Alphabet (as I do on most of my journal pages) and red embossing powder.  I couldn't fit the words on the page without going over the gold embossing.  Then it occurred to me that if I arranged the letters going down the page, it would solve the problem and fit in better with the theme.  The final thing was to glue the kimono into place and the page was finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for all your comments but spam will be deleted.