Friday 31 August 2018

Using a Brayer and Cling Film on Coated Card

Having been challenged into using my brayer on coated card at a workshop held by Maria Moorhouse recently, I decided to adapt one of the cards we made.  The stamps used and finishing touches are my own choices but I'm grateful to Maria for making me think about using this skill again.
I cut an A5 piece of Clarity coated white card stock in half to work on.  A friend suggested the colour combination of pink, orange and brown, so I chose Picked Raspberry, Spiced Marmalade and Aged Mahogany Distress inks and blended them over the whole card.
Next, I took a piece of cling film larger than the card, gave it a light spritz with water and laid it wet side down on the card.  I moved it around a little and created wrinkles then set it aside to dry.  Once dry, the cling film was removed and the card was buffed up to a shine.
As this was going to be used as a mat and I didn't want to waste the card, I die cut a piece out of the centre using the larger of the Pierced Flag dies by Sue Wilson.  The Happy Birthday line sentiment (Claritystamp set 1) was stamped in Sepia Versafine ink over the top.
The remaining half of the A5 coated card stock was trimmed to 9.3cm x 13.7cm and attached to a piece of copy paper.  I used masking tape to do this as well as creating a border of approximately 0.5cm all round.
I added a moon mask in the top right hand corner of the card.  Spiced Marmalade Distress ink was added to a blending mat and smoothed out using my brayer.  As I am left handed I inked up the left hand side and centre of the brayer keeping the right hand edge clear of ink.  I brayered the area over the moon mask, starting and finishing each stroke on the copy paper and moving the brayer in from the top right corner.  The clean edge of the brayer means that a solid line of colour doesn't appear on the card.  It is also important to keep the brayer moving, to smooth out any lines that might appear before the ink dries.  I tore a piece of copy paper to make a hill mask and repeated the process at the bottom.  I then changed to Aged Mahogany ink and repeated the process.  I didn't go down as far along the top so creating an ombre effect and removed the hill mask at the bottom to give a haze of colour above the line of the hill.  The moon mask was then removed.
The main stamp from the Butterfly Tree set (Claritystamp) was added in Sepia Versafine ink and the sprig from the Gone Fishing set (also Claritystamp) was added in Picked Raspberry Distress ink and Sepia Versafine.
The masking tape was then removed carefully to avoid tearing the card and smudging the ink.  This revealed the border.
To highlight the border, I added a squiggly line using my Sepia Sakura Everyday Micron pen.
The topper was then matted onto the cling film background.

An A5 card blank was created by folding a piece of A4 white linen card in half and the main topper and sentiment flag added.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for all your comments but spam will be deleted.