Tuesday 19 March 2019

Creating a Mixed Media Scene behind an Aperture: Birthday Card

I used mixed media techniques to create a scene behind an aperture die cut into the front of a card.  It was then finished off with a coordinating 3D frame.
I started by using the Tree Scape Aperture die from Claritystamp on the front of a 6" x 6" white card blank.
I wanted to create a scene to glue behind the aperture, so cut a piece of mixed media card to 14cm x 14cm.  I then tore strips from pages of a book of French plays and a Romanian play and glued them onto the card, drying and trimming the edges.
To even up the colours and tone down the background, I brushed a thin layer of white gesso over the papers and dried it with a heat gun.
I laid the page behind the aperture and lightly marked key places with a pencil.  I also added one of the mini moon masks.
Next, I blended a mixture of Evergreen Bough and Pine Needles Distress Oxides over the 'ground'.
I added Salty Ocean and Faded Jeans Oxides to the 'sky' in the same way.
A mist of water over the background created some texture and the mask was removed.
Next, I added some stamping using two of the stamps from the Wee Grasses stamp set.  These were stamped in Library Green Archival ink.
Next, I worked on a frame to go on the front of the card around the aperture.  I used two of the Deluxe Picot nested Square dies to create a frame out of stencil card.
I used the script stamp and the harlequin stamp from the Journaling set as well as Pine Needles, Faded Jeans and Salty Ocean Oxides to cover the frame.
Next, I stamped 'Celebrate Your Birthday' (Mini Word Chains 1&2) in Cobalt Blue Archival paint along the top of the frame.
As the word 'Celebrate' didn't stand out against the background as well as I liked, I added a drop shadow using a white gel pen.
It only remained to glue the scene in place behind the aperture inside the front of the card.  The frame was added using foam tape to create a 3D effect.
Next time I create a frame, I will probably leave an area free for stamping a sentiment, rather than completely covering the frame with background stamping.  That is the only thing that I would change about this card.  There are a few more Clarity Fresh Cut Dies that I could use with the same method.

2 comments:

  1. love this project & having the pages in a foreign language makes it easier to hide those risky words that always seem to pop up in just the wrong places !!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for all your comments but spam will be deleted.