Sunday, 29 October 2017

You Win Some, You Lose Some!

I decided to experiment with alcohol inks on parchment.  The first part of the plan went well, but then everything turned into a hot mess.  I have at least learned something from the experiment and there is plenty of texture on the tag!

I started by dribbling some alcohol inks in Honeycomb, Sunset Orange and Watermelon onto an off cut of Claritystamp plain parchment. I added a little Gold Mixative and encouraged the colours to run.  So far, so good.
I then added some blending solution to a felt pad and blended out the colours.  At this point I still liked the effect.
Then came the massive OOPS.  I used Glossy Accents liberally on the non coated side of the parchment to stick it to a #8 manilla tag.  That was a big mistake.  The glue was far too wet for the parchment and therefore dried with lots of creases, even though I ran a hard brayer over the surface before it was fully dry.  This was then trimmed all round.
I compounded the error by adding Copper and Gold Dreamweaver embossing paste through the large Autumn layering tag by Tim Holtz (THS060).  No chance of getting an even coat over the wrinkled substrate, but I persevered anyway.
Having dried the embossing paste with a heat gun (in for a penny...), I blended some Coffee Archival ink along the top and down the left hand side.
At this point I decided to allow Teakwood alcohol ink to drip down the middle of the tag.  I hoped it might emphasize the leaf shapes a little more, but no such luck!  It did however add to the grungy look of the tag.
Finally I added a selection of stickers from the Clipping Stickers pack by Tim Holtz idea-ology.  I did at least learn not to get parchment so wet and that a little Glossy Accents goes a long way!
Post a Comment