Monday 23 October 2017

Brushos and Pixie Powders: Experiment

For a change, rather than completing a full project, I decided to work with Brusho powders and Pixie Powders to create a large background, then made smaller background pieces trying different techniques over different sections. To begin with, I lightly spritzed a piece of A3 white card with water and tapped Pixie Powders over it in Midnight Blue, Peacock Green, Aqua Lagoon and Golden Mint.  Having spritzed the sheet again, I added Brusho powders in Turquoise, Ultramarine, Lemon and Emerald Green tapping the colour through a small hole in each lid onto the card.  A final spritz and then the colours were encouraged to run a little.  I think I went a little overboard with the water as it took me quite a while to dry the sheet completely with my heat gun.
Step 1

I then cut a section off the left hand side and blended Blueprint Sketch, Mustard Seed, Twisted Citron and Mermaid Lagoon Distress inks over the whole surface.  To help with the blending, I used Sheena Douglass' method, adding a little glycerine onto my glass mat, pickingit up with a blending tool and picking up the ink off my glass mat rather than the ink pad itself.  
Once finished, I cut the strip into 4 ATC sized pieces (2.5" x 3.5").

I left the next section as it was, but cut it into a variety of different sized pieces; 10 pieces of 1" x 1", 6 pieces of 2" x 2" and 4 pieces of 1.5" x 2".  These will probably be used to create an art journal page as the current week's prompt for 'Art Journal Prompts' is 'Inchies'.

I have a very old jar of Cosmic Shimmer Sparkle Paint in Golden Malachite sitting in my stash.  It required some thinning and mixing before I could use it.  I scraped a little onto my glass mat, added plenty of water and was originally going to use my fan brush to add spatter over a section of the remaining piece.  However, I ended up adding the paint using the flat side of the brush to create a fern like pattern.  Once dry, these were cut into 4 pieces of 3" x 2".  The shimmer is amazing and the photos really don't do it justice.
I was left with a piece of the original background, which I trimmed to 19cm x 19cm to use as a topper background at some point on a large square card.

No comments: