Thursday, 28 February 2019

Mixing Stamping and Stencilling with a Magazine Image

This image of a giant toadstool came from a magazine advert and had been sitting in my clippings stash for months.  I picked out three colours which toned in with it, Vintage Photo, Fossilized Amber and Spiced Marmalade and created an art journal page.  This was one of my earlier page attempts, but I think it has stood the test of time and there is little I would change about it if I were working on the page again.

I started with a piece of mixed media card trimmed to 18.5cm x 19.5cm.  The largest of the moon masks by Claritystamp was added and the three chosen colours of Distress Oxide were blended across the page, spritzed with water and dried with a heat tool.  Having laid the focal image over the top, I adjusted the Fossilized Amber to fit in with it.
I then chose Archival inks in Vintage Photo (from the Tim Holtz Permanent Mixed Media Ink Palette), Venetian Orange and Sunflower; the closest in colour to Spiced Marmalade and Fossilized Amber.  They were used with stamps from the Ledger Script, Documented, Slight Alterations and Mixed Media stamp sets (designed by Tim Holtz for Stampers Anonymous) as well as the Drips and Dirt set (The Art of Brett Weldele) to add texture over the whole of the background, including the moon.
More of the Spiced Marmalade Distress Oxide was used through the Rays mini stencil by Tim Holtz (THMS003) around the moon (I decided to turn it into a setting sun), as well as over the centre to tone down the whiteness.
Once the background was ready, I added the focal image using Distress Collage Medium and sealed the whole page too.  Once dry, Faber-Castell Big Brush Markers in the same tones of brown, orange and dark yellow were used to add shading, shadows and depth to the image and surrounding background.
I wanted to add a little more interest to the focal image, so added two of the fairies from Wee Folk Set 3 by Claritystamp stamped in Vintage Photo Archival ink.
Finally, I coloured three of the Quote Chips from Tim Holtz idea-ology using a mix of archival ink on top of distress oxides and glued them into position at the bottom of the page.
I was really pleased with the way that the page turned out, and I think I may have found my new favourite colour combination.  I later created another journal page by trying to recreate the mushroom image for myself using paint and ink (see HERE for details).  This time I used the bunny stamps from Claritystamp.

4 comments:

Carole Costin said...

Love this! Itching to try mixing magazine pictures with inking & stamping now - thanks for the inspiration.

Jane said...

That's amazing Sarah! Love both of those pages!!! Xxx

Belinda said...

Oh my goodness. I love this. I love the sentiment and the sun rays...wow! So pretty. I wish I could do something like that. Thank you so much for sharing. I am inspired!
Thanks for the visit yesterday!
Belinda #23

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

This is brilliant Sarah, love it. Feeling guilty though as I keep collecting interesting magazine pics and so far I have done nothing with them, naughty me! I read your message about the card on my blog and I'll make a step by step soon but basically the base is cut in a certain way so that it can be twisted to reshape it. Have a lovely creative week, Angela xxx