Friday 28 July 2017

Bleeding Tissue Background

Having used this method of creating a background for a previous art journal layout, I decided to try it again; this time as a background for a card.
As I was working with a 17.8cm x 17.8cm pre made white card, I cut a piece of water colour card to 16.8cm x 16.8cm.  I chose four colours of cheap tissue paper (red, bright pink, orange and yellow) and cut 3 squares of each colour (7cm x 7cm).  These squares were cut into 3 lengthways and two of the strips were cut in half again.  The watercolour paper was well spritzed with water and all the strips arranged over the page starting with the larger ones and filling in/overlapping with all the smaller pieces.  The whole page was then spritzed again thoroughly.
The cool thing about this way of creating a background is that, as you dry it with a heat gun, the pieces of tissue paper fly off and also the colours blend into each other on the tissue paper pieces.  These can later be glued to acetate with glossy accents to create another background for use on a different project.
The stamp set which I used for this card was the Cheers set designed by Toni Darroch for Stamps By Me.  I stamped the wine glasses onto heat resistant acetate using Versamark ink and heat embossed using detail black embossing powder.
Once I'd trimmed round the outline leaving a 2-3mm border, I laid the acetate over the background (now matted onto black card measuring 17.3cm x 17.3cm) to check the position I wanted them in.
I wanted to stamp the 'wine' directly onto the background using Plum Archival ink, so the Misti came in really useful for the next step.  The background was held in place in the Misti with the acetate glasses loose; the 'wine' stamp was laid over the top and then picked up on the lid of the Misti.  Once the acetate glasses had been removed, the wine was inked and stamped several times to produce a deep colour on the textured watercolour card.
Once the acetate is laid back into place it looks like there is wine spilling from one glass into the other.  I used Glossy Accents to glue the acetate glasses into place.
I then stamped the wine stain in the bottom right corner using Plum Archival ink and one of the sentiments from the same stamp set along the top left hand side.  For this I used Versamark ink and detail black embossing powder.
For the finishing touch, I die cut two of the Stitched Flags by Sue Wilson from watercolour card and black card.  I then stamped and heat embossed the word 'Cheers' onto the watercolour flag before colouring it in the same way as the main background using offcuts of tissue paper.  Once dry, the flags were matted together and added to the top right hand side of the topper using foam pads for dimension.  The topper was then added to the base card.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for all your comments but spam will be deleted.