Tuesday 23 May 2017

For Manchester!

When I went to bed last night, I was planning on working on the 'tissue' prompt for week 21 of Art Journal Prompts today.  The news as I woke this morning led me to produce this page.  In memory of innocent lives lost, anger that children were targetted and pride for the reactions of the people of Manchester and the emergency services.
Before drying
Although I have used tissue paper in the past to create a background, I have never used the 'bleeding tissue' method.  Having seen the YouTube video by Nina Ribena, I was looking forward to having a go myself and had sorted out colours to use in yellows, oranges, reds and pinks.  These were cut into small triangle shapes.  A piece of watercolour card was cut larger than my journal page and taped onto my glass mat.  Once spritzed with water, the triangle shapes were laid on and given another spritz to encourage the colours of the paper to bleed.  

After drying.

Once I was happy with the effect, I used my heat gun to dry the card until all the pieces of tissue had flown off.

Before drying
after drying
  On the off cut of  watercolour card, I laid over star shaped pieces of tissue in the same colours and followed the same method as for the background piece.

I decided to create a music stave with the narrow piece and cut it into five strips which were then matted onto black card to create a narrow border top and bottom of each piece.  The background was trimmed to 18.1cm x 19.1cm and matted onto a 19.6cm x 18.6cm piece of black card.  The larger of the treble clef dies by Marianne was cut from black card.  Once everything was glued in place, the excess was trimmed from each end of the strips.

For the 'notes' I stamped the 'angry' emoji from the stamp set by BoBunny five times, using Versamark ink and detail black embossing powder.
Finally, the sentiment, together with the date and location of the atrocity were printed using my Dymo Letratag, matted onto black card and added above and below the music.

No comments: