Saturday 21 November 2015

Proud Peacock

The matting and layering of the front of this card looks complicated as there is an aperture involved, but with a little careful planning, it's not as hard as it looks.  I love the peacock stamp; it is from an A4 stamp set by Chocolate Baroque.

The base card is made from an A4 piece of cream pearlescent card scored and folded in half.  To create the matting and layering for the front, I cut a piece of gold glitter card 20.5cm x 14.3cm and a piece of contrasting blue and cream patterned card 10cm x 13.8cm.  I glued the gold card to the front of the card blank; a temporary tape runner was used to add the blue layer in the correct position; the inside edge of the middle oval in the X-Cut Shape Cutter set was used to cut through all three layers of card and then the top blue layer was removed.  At this point I trimmed an additional 2-3mm off around the edge of the oval aperture on the blue and cream layer.  Once I was happy, this layer was added to the front of the card using permanent tape.  The cream oval shape cut from the card with the gold glitter card attached was turned so that the cream layer was on top and the outside edge of the smallest X-Cut oval used to trim it down.  Once the gold lines had been drawn on, it was attached to the front of the card offset to the right and a little lower than the aperture.  The inside of the card was completely lined with the same blue/cream patterned card as used on the front.

The same gold glitter card was used to cut the base layer and the flourish from Ribbon Flower 3 by Marianne Creatables; the top layer is green glitter paper and I found some ready made flower shapes in peacock colours and a small gold brad to finish the layers.  I only used the brad to keep the flower and flourish layers together, before adding them to the top left hand side of the card with a foam pad.

I stamped the peacock onto plain cream card using Sepia Archival ink.  It was coloured using a mixture of mica paints and Sakura Stardust pens to provide the metallic/glitter finish and to tie in with the flower.  The image was cut out leaving a narrow border of cream all around and added to the front of the card over the cream oval panel.  

Finally, I cut another piece of gold glitter card (4.5cm x 3.5cm) and a piece of the blue card (3cm x 4cm); used the 'Deco' corner chomper by We R Memory Keepers to shape the corners; matted the blue layer onto the gold with the plain blue side showing and added a gold 'Happy Birthday' peel off.  The plaque was added using foam pads for dimension.

No comments: