Saturday 5 December 2015

Large Pop Out Card - Black and White Cogs

I made this card to say thank you to colleagues when I finished a temporary, two term teaching job at a University Technical College which specialises in Engineering.  I already had the stamps and dies, as I make a lot of men's cards.  I decided to make it a pop out card to add to the engineering theme.

I used two ready made 20cm x 20cm white card blanks.  For the front of the card, I inked up the Twisted Check mask/stencil by Inky Doodles using black Versafine ink, Placed a piece of white card on top and ran it through my Grand Caliber using the embossing sandwich.  I then trimmed the card down to 15cm x 15cm.  I die cut two lots of the Joy! Crafts Steampunk Cog Gear border in black card and attached them to the underside of two of the edges of the embossed checkered square.  I embossed an A6 piece of white card using the cog embossing folder by Docrafts, then rubbed over the raised side using black gilding wax.  Before it was added, I matted it onto plain white card, leaving a very narrow border.  The Maya Angelou quote from Claritystamp expressed exactly the sentiment that I wanted to convey; it was stamped onto white card using black Archival ink; trimmed down; matted onto black card, again leaving a very narrow border. 
I stamped the inside of the card with the Checkered Background stamp by Inky Doodles, using black Archival ink, as it would be seen through the central pop out section.  I used the inner and circle dies from the Boudoir Square Base die set by Tonic Studios to cut an aperture at an equal distance either side of the centre fold of the second base card. I then scored the front and the back of that card in half to create a concertina fold.
 The left hand side was stamped with the Explore stamp set by Inky Doodles and the right hand panel was stamped top and bottom with the Circle Gear Background stamp, leaving space for a written message.
The inner card was added to the outer, carefully lining up the corners and edges, gluing only the backs of the outer panels.
To finish, I cut two of the same Spellbinder cog dies (by Tim Holtz) from grunge paper; painted them black; sanded them back a little to provide a grunge effect; stuck them back to back with wire between and attached them to the central aperture at the top and bottom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for all your comments but spam will be deleted.