Saturday 16 January 2016

A Layered Messy Background

I haven't finished this background yet; it will form the base of a man's birthday card and has stamping and embossing to add to it yet.  I did want to share the process that I go through when designing a card and I really have no idea how it's going to end up yet!

I decided to get out my gelli plate for the first layer.  I used distress ink pads in Pumice Stone and Rusty Hinge to add ink directly to the 6" x 6" gelli plate; spritzed water over the top and laid a clear sello bag over the top to move the ink around a little.  Once the sello bag was removed, I used the 7" x 7" mega mount by Clarity stamp as an acrylic block to stamp the gelli plate onto a piece of 7" x 7" stencil card (also by Claritystamp).  I then laid the sello bag with the remaining ink back onto the gelli plate and repeated the stamping process but this time giving the card a 90 degree turn first. In total I stamped the background card three times, spritzing a little water onto the gelli plate between each 'stamp'.  
Once I was happy with the first layer, I dried the card with my heat gun.  I wanted to emphasise the whiteness of the border, so added Antique Linen distress ink behind the stamped pattern, using the second largest of the Clarity stencil brushes.  This made the contrast between foreground and background less stark.  I chose a brown palette, as I am intending to use this as a background for a man's card.  I still wasn't totally happy with the background and decided to add some splodges of distress paint.  
I used Antiqued Bronze and Tarnished Brass to provide a different finish and a contrast to the matt effect of the distress ink.
Finally, to bring the whole background together, I used Vintage Photo distress ink and a blending tool through the Speckles layering stencil by Tim Holtz.  I could have used watered down paint and the new spatter brush, but I wanted to control where the speckles went and leave the outside border of the card white as far as possible.
As you can see, by reversing the stencil and going over both halves of the card, I managed to get a spatter effect, but only where I wanted it to go.  Tomorrow, I'll be adding some hand held stamped patterns, to provide yet more layers to the background, before working on my focal point topper.  Hope you look back in, to see how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for all your comments but spam will be deleted.