Sunday 14 February 2016

Large Background: Finished Card

I finally got my act together and made a card using the large A5 background stamp that I've been playing with.  Having practised adding colour on a spare background, I used my best copy for this card.  I stuck to using distress inks to add colour, but this time also used a water brush to add more precise details to elements such as the key.  I also added decoupage elements to finish off. I'm entering this in the Craft Stamper Make It Take It February Challenge.

This time I blended all over the background with Old Paper and Pumice Stone distress inks and added Rusty Hinge to the balloon.  I then used a craft mat and a water brush to paint Hickory Smoke onto the key, balloon boat and cogs; Rusty Hinge onto the outside of the largest cog and the shields on the side of the balloon boat and Black Soot onto the beetle.
I also used the water brush to remove colour from the 'hello'.

I stamped the hand from the background and the compass from the Steampunk Elements set by Docrafts (the hand on the separate set is smaller than the image on the background stamp) onto white stamp card and coloured/painted them using the same distress inks.  I added a touch of Rusty Hinge to the face of the compass to tie the top right and bottom left hand corners together.  I also stamped the hand from the Ringmaster Blueprint set by Tim Holtz and Stampers Anonymous to use as an additional option.

Cut and embossed
Black Gesso
I also decided to die cut some cogs from grunge paper to add into the bottom left hand corner.  I used three from the SPrightly Sprockets set by Spellbinder and one from the X-Cut cog set of nine dies.

Rusty Hinge and Hickory Smoke paint

Sanded back

Midnight and Cast Bronze Gilding Wax added

The next step was cutting the A5 background down by 2mm all round and adding Vintage Photo distress ink around the outside.  The additional elements were laid over so that I could see how the finished piece would look.
I decided that an additional element was needed and cut the smaller of the pierced flag dies by Sue Wilson out of a piece of black Centura Pearl card stock and added a silver Happy Birthday peel off.  As this has a pearlescent coated finish, I added a touch of the clear sparkle pen by Spectrum Noir over the beetle, the cuff of the hand, the hands of the compass, 'hello' and the cogs.  I left the key and the balloon alone as I didn't want to go too over the top with sparkle! I added the background piece onto a base card made from a piece of A4 black card, scored and folded in half to create a portrait card blank.  The additional elements were added using foam pads and allowed to overhang the background to the edge of the card, where they were trimmed level.  The sentiment flag was glued flat at each end, with a double layer of foam pads in the middle.
With the original hand

With the Tim Holtz hand

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for all your comments but spam will be deleted.