Monday, 14 January 2019

Using Random Sentences on a Tag as Inspiration

It was about time that I worked on a tag in 2019, so I had a look at the January challenge over on Tag It Tuesday.  There are always four prompts and at least two have to be used on the tag. This month the four prompts are 1: Scribble with coloured pencils; 2: Splatter ink or paint; 3: Use a random sentence and 4: Red.   For once, as you can see, I actually used all four.
Having glanced through an ex library book about Byron that I had bought specifically for crafting,  I spotted a couple of likely sentences on a page.  I added the page to a #8 manilla tag with matte medium, sealed, dried and trimmed.
I couldn't decide which sentence to use, so outlined both of them with a Sakura everyday red micron pen (prompt 3).
Once the two sentences had been masked off with Pebeo masking fluid and the masking fluid was dry,  I scribbled a Gelato (Red Cherry) all over the tag and blended it in with my finger.  I then added a little Napthol Red Deep Amsterdam Acrylic paint in the top left and bottom right corners and blended that out too.
For some reason the sentences made me think of birds, so I decided to work with the Robin stamp (Claritystamp New Design Club #86) in keeping with the 'red' colour scheme (prompt 4).  I stamped it onto a piece of white card using a dye based ink as well as onto the tag as a guide to placement.
I scribbled my WHSmith watercolour pencils over the image (prompt 1), ready for blending out with a water brush.
To add further interest to the tag background,  I blended brilliant red Reeves acrylic paint through the petite feather stencil (Claritystamp) in three places.
To fulfil prompt 2, I mixed some iridescent silver Pebeo paint with water and used a fan brush to splatter it over the tag.
Once dry, I fussy cut the robin (excluding the legs) and added it to the tag.
To fit in with my sentences, I used three of the birds from the Birdhouse Garden stamp set (Claritystamp) to mimic swearing and reconciliation and stamped them in the same dye based black ink as before.
It only remained then to erase the masking fluid, revealing the random sentences.
Post a Comment