Saturday, 10 October 2015

Let Your Dreams Take Flight

I must have a thing for feathers as well as butterflies, because I seem to have plenty of stamps, dies and embossing folders on this theme too! Here's how I combined them and my favourite bright distress inks - Salty Ocean; Picked Raspberry; Mowed Lawn; Ripe Persimmon.



The base card is a standard 20cm x 20cm pre made card.  I stamped around the edge using the small background feather stamp from the Feathers set by Hot Off the Press.  The stamps are useful, as there are solid background versions of each size, as well as a more filigree stamp which can be overlaid.  I used my four favourite bright distress inks and distress pens for this card - Salty Ocean; Ripe Persimmon; Picked Raspberry and Mowed Lawn.  These are all from the additional seasons distress ink sets, which Tim Holtz brought out a couple of years ago.  I love distress inks; by the end of the year I will have all 60, as I have been collecting the new colours of the month for 2015.  For the second layer, I cut a piece of stamp card 18cm x 18cm; stamped and heat embossed the three filigree feathers randomly over the entire panel, using Versamark ink and white detail embossing powder; blended over the finished piece with the same four distress inks and added some Walnut stain at the edge to add definition.
For the top layer, I cut another piece of stamp card (16cm x 16cm); laid the Spellbinders Feather dies in a circle and cut them out.  I then ran the panel through the Feathers embossing folder by Crafts Too several times, in order to emboss the entire panel.  By making sure that I didn't place the very edge of the folder (where the join would be) inside the embossing sandwich, I avoided an obvious join line.  I embossed the feathers separately; colouring three of them using the matching blue, pink and green distress pens. The sentiment from the feathers stamp set was stamped using black Archival ink; die cut, using the innermost die in the Anja's Squares set by Marianne; then edged, using the Ripe Persimmon distress pen.  The bottom layer was glued to the front of the card; the embossed layer was added, using foam pads for dimension; the sentiment panel was added, also using foam pads and the feathers were glued on flat to finish off.  I really like the way that the feather dies were used, both to create apertures and to create the embellishments.  It also allows us to see more of the detail on the panel below.
I would like this card to be considered for the No Design Papers Challenge at the Allsorts challenge blog, as well as Anything Goes Challenge on the Creative Fingers Challenge blog.

Post a Comment