Monday, 8 August 2016

Around the World with Grunge!

Every so often I get the urge to work with a tag as a starting point and I just can't resist getting grungy!  This card started with an idea seen on a YouTube video by Kate Palmer on behalf of Lindy's Stamp Gang.  I simply replaced the products with my favourite Tim Holtz distress sprays.
 
I started out with a blank #8 manilla tag and added some torn up pieces of Tim Holtz Terminology Tissue Wrap.
Once dry, I sprayed bothe the front and back of the tag with a mixture of 1 part glycerine to 6 parts water and once saturated scrunched up the tag multiple times to create texture and provide a base for the Distress sprays. 



I misted the tag with Brushed Corduroy, Walnut Stain and a touch of Tarnished Brass to provide shimmer.  The overspill wasn't wasted; I simply spritzed it with water and dragged a piece of A5 cream card through it to create a coordinating background piece.

The brick wall die from the Mixed Media #3 die set by Tim Holtz and Sizzix (661186) was used in the top left corner of backing card; this was then stamped using Walnut Stain distress ink, the world map stamp from the Far and Away stamp set by Teresa Collins and various post marks from the Marianne clear stamp set (CS0879). Finally the edges were darkened using the same distress ink, with a little Ground Espresso for extra depth of colour.
I cut a globe using Sizzix die 660214 from the same brown card that I was also going to use as my base card; stamped the Ahoy Matey and Treasure Chest stamps onto cream card using Sepia Archival ink and heat embossed them, before painting the treasure chest using a Cosmic Shimmer palette (Phill Martin Decadent and Precious Metals).  Initially I was going to leave things there; however I felt that the card needed some extra cream focal points to balance out the Ahoy Matey background.  I happened to find 3 left over tickets from a previous card and added them under the tag.  They provided balance, but were a little too stark a contrast for my liking, so I over stamped them with various small stamps from the two sets that I had already used on the card and Walnut Stain distress ink.
X marks the spot on the globe was the only finishing touch which i felt the card still needed.





 


Post a Comment