Friday, 21 September 2018

Creating Depth through Different Generations of Stamping: A Birthday Card

The idea for the layout and techniques used on this card are from Maria Moorhouse.  I attended her latest workshop last weekend and one of the cards we made used this technique, but in different colours and using different stamps for the background.  Thanks Maria, here's my version.
Using a piece of Clarity stencil card (7" x 7"), the edges were masked off using low tack masking tape and a large square Post It note (4" x 4") was added to the centre.  I gently brushed Ocean Reef Artistry ink across two of the opposite corners with more ink in the corner each time and fading away towards the centre.
Keeping the masks in place, the Coral stamp from the Spellbinders Starfish stamp and die set was stamped in Cobalt Blue Archival ink.  Only the stamp in each corner is a first generation image.  The remainder are second, third or even fourth generation, with the excess ink blotted off onto copy paper each time, moving out from each corner.  The same stamp was then used with Monarch Orange second and third generation stamping to add a little contrast.  The final result is the effect of looking down into the depths of water, especially once the Post It note is removed.

Once the masking tape was removed, two of the tropical fish stamps (Claritystamp) were stamped in Cobalt Blue Archival ink in the other two corners using the Tim Holtz stamp platform.
The Best Wishes ribbon stamp from Claritystamp was added in the centre in the same way, then some of the additional wording which comes in the same set was added below.
Using a dark blue Sakura everyday micron pen I went round the edges of the inner square and the outer edge of the inked areas for emphasis.  I used wiggly lines rather than attempt to keep them straight.
To add colour to the fish, I used an orange watercolour pencil (WHSmith) and a water brush. 
A turquoise pencil added colour to the Best Wishes sentiment, leaving areas of white space.  I didn't blend these strokes out.  The topper was then double matted, first onto turquoise paper, then onto orange card.
Finally, the whole thing was added to a 8" x 8" white card blank.
I can't share the original card yet as Maria has another class and I don't want to spoil the surprise, but the two cards look entirely different.
Post a Comment