Monday, 28 August 2017

Steampunk, Chocolate, Gold and Peacock Journal Page

I love this journal page prompt from Junk Journal Junkies and Mindful Art (JJJAMA) for Challenge 31: Chocolate, Gold, Peacock and Steampunk; the perfect combination.  Out came my Sheena Douglass Time Traveller Collection...
I started by die cutting all the pipes, gears, the balloon and the egg timer from the Time Traveller Collection by Sheena Douglass and stamping each piece with the matching stamp in Potting Soil Archival ink.  I also die cut all the Sprightly Sprockets set by Spellbinder.  In my stash I found some 'fleather' that I had made using Sheena's method out of kraft card.
I coloured each of the Sprightly Sprockets using Adirondack Metallic Gold Paint, the balloon was coloured with Peacock Feathers and Walnut Stain Distress ink and gold paint added to the fan blades on the back.  I decided not to use the egg timer at this point, but coloured all the pipe pieces and stamped gears using Walnut Stain distress ink, with an overlay of the same colour in Distress Oxide, these were then spritzed with water to start the oxidisation process and dried with a heat gun.  I then used Golden Light and Patina Gilding Wax by Creative Expressions on the edges.  The pipe sections were put to one side for use on another project at this point leaving just the balloon and all the gears.
For the background, I cut a piece of Mixed Media card to 19.5cm x 18.5cm and used Distress paint dabbers in Ground Espresso (dark chocolate), Walnut Stain (milk chocolate) and Peacock Feathers blended out with my fingers.
I stamped over the whole page using the Ledger Script Stamps designed by Tim Holtz for Stampers Anonymous.  For this I chose Coffee and Garden Patina Archival inks.  I also covered the 'Salvaged' Quote Chip from the Tim Holtz idea-ology set with a thin layer of gold paint and added Patina Gilding Wax all round the edges.

I started by trying several arrangements of the gear dies, the thin strip of 'fleather' and the 'Salvaged' quote chip.  Once happy they were all glued down with Cosmic Shimmer acrylic glue and any over hangs trimmed; I eventually decided to use some of the offcuts on the left hand side of the page.

I nearly left the page at this point, but decided to stick with my original layout and add the balloon, although I went over it with the two colours of gilding wax in places first to add a little more bling.

Post a Comment