Thursday, 23 March 2017

Art Journal Prompts Week 12: Adventure

When I saw the prompt 'Adventure', my first thought was travel or reading; to me, both these things provide adventure.  However, as I had used the idea of books as an adventure for the prompt 'Magic' in week 10, I didn't want to repeat myself.  I decided to go with a simple colour scheme for this page and stuck to Salty Ocean and Mermaid Lagoon Distress paint and Manganese Blue Archival ink, with some splashes of white as an accent.  I also decided that the word 'Adventure' would be sufficient on its own, rather than using a full quote.

As usual when working on kraft card, I started by giving the page a coat of white gesso and drying it. I then added the distress paint with my fingers, dabbing over the page with a wet baby wipe to reveal some of the white, before drying the first layer of background.
To provide additional interest in the background I then added some stamping in Archival ink.  I stamped the world map from the Documented stamp set designed by Tim Holtz for Stamper's Anonymous, then added a second world map stamp (from the Far and Away set by Teresa Collins) several times.  Finally I added one of each postmark from the stamp set by Marianne (CS0879).  I pressed a little too hard in places with the postmarks, but as I would be adding focal images later, I knew I could cover up any OOPS!
For my next step, I stamped four of the images with postage stamp edges from the Papermania Urban Stamps Bookprint Around the World sets 1 and 2.  I chose Paris, Rome, London and New York as I have visited two of those places and dream of visiting the other  two.  They were stamped onto Sheena's stamping card using the same Archival ink as the background and die cut using the matching die from the Nesting Postage Stamp set by XCut.  These were added to the background (2 going off the page) and sealed with distress collage medium.  I also left room for the word 'Adventure', which was stamped using my favourite alphabet in Versamark ink and heat embossed, using white detail embossing powder.  I went round the outer edges of each topper with my Phthalo Blue Big Brush marker, blending out the lines with my finger before they dried.  This helped the glued on elements become part of the background.

Post a Comment