Sunday, 26 February 2017

Bird Crazy Birthday

I was in a card making mood today, so decided to get out the Bird Crazy stamps and dies to use with a large Hero Arts background stamp with lots of speech bubbles.  I intend to use the tag line in the card 'A little birdy told me... it's your birthday.'

I started by stamping the Hero Arts background stamp (S5666) onto Sheena's Stamping card using Pale Ochre Archival ink.  I then added the Happy Birthday from the Expressions and Frames set by Inkadinkado using Ground Espresso Archival ink.  Once dry, I trimmed it back, leaving a narrow border of white all the way round.
I also stamped three copies of the same bird from the Bird Crazy stamp set designed by Tim Holtz for Stamper's Anonymous onto card, using Black Soot Archival ink; the party hat from the Crazy Things stamp set finished off the stamping.  The bird was coloured using Mermaid Lagoon, Tumbled Glass, Broken China and Twisted Citron distress markers and a water brush and the three matching dies used to cut out the whole bird, the wing and the eyes.  The party hat was coloured in the same way using Carved Pumpkin and Fossilized Amber over laid with Twisted Citron and die cut using the matching die set.  It was then layered up using glue and foam pads along the bottom of the wing for added dimension.
 
The bird stands beautifully at the bottom of the background panel so that it looks like the speech bubble is coming out of its beak.  The background panel was matted onto a darker piece of brown card, leaving a narrow border all round.
 



As the bird's tail goes off the right hand side of the topper, I needed to create another background piece to sit behind the topper and the bird.  As I was intending to use a 20cm x 20cm pre made white card blank, I cut a piece of the darker brown card 19.5cm x 19.5 cm and a piece of brown/yellow card similar to the Pale Ochre colour to 19cm x 19cm.  The smaller piece was embossed using the Leafy Quad A4 embossing folder by Creative Expressions and some Ground Espresso Distress ink was lightly brushed all over it using a Clarity stencil brush to bring out the texture.  Once the larger background had been glued to the card, the speech bubble topper was added using foam pads. Finally the bird was also added using glue with a foam pad under the tail.



Post a Comment