Tuesday, 17 January 2017

Gelli Plate Stamp Background.

I have had the Napa Valley stamp and Framer Stencil by Claritystamp for a while and decided that today was the day to do something with them.  I also wanted to use a Gelli plate to create the background.  The circle Gelli Petite was just a little too small to fit the circumference of the stamp, so in the end I chose to use my 6" x 6" plate.  The background to the stamping is actually on a piece of copy paper that I used for clean up, but I loved it so much that I decided to use this piece rather than attempt to recreate it on a piece of card.

 
The inks used on the Gelli plate for the stamp background were Stormy Sky, Forest Moss and Tea Dye, which were smoothed with a brayer and then lightly spritzed with water before taking an impression on copy paper to clean the plate.
The Napa Valley stamp was added using Watering Can Archival ink as I didn't want too dark an image for colouring.
 



 
I used the same colour Distress markers directly onto the stamped image, with the addition of Frayed Burlap, Walnut Stain, Gathered Twigs, Iced Spruce and Pumice Stone. 
 








Once happy with the result, I lined up the Framer stencil which came with the stamp, taped it down on all four sides, covered the stamped and coloured image with the stencil centre and added distress inks in Forest Moss, Tea Die, Iced Spruce and Stormy Sky with make up sponges through the frame.  To ensure that the outline was crisp, I went back around the edges with the fine end of the matching distress markers. The background was trimmed to 13.5cm x 13.5cm and mounted onto dark green card, leaving a narrow edge.  
I wanted to create another layer before adding the image to the card, so trimmed a piece of Sheena's stamping card to 16cm x 16cm and used the Clarity stencil brushes to add Stormy Sky distress ink to the top, Forest Moss at the bottom and towards the bottom of the sky and a little Tea Dye in between.  I deliberately left a little uncoated space to mimic the background of the stamped part.  A little water spritzed over the top and some water drops shaken on provided a slight mottled look.
The advantage of this was that when I spritzed my glass mat, the resulting 'mop up' gives me the start of a lovely background in my art journal. 
The extra background piece was matted onto a piece of the same dark green card, once again leaving a narrow edge and glued onto a pre made 7" x 7" card.  Before adding the stamped topper, I added the Happy Birthday sentiment from Line Sentiments 1 by Claritystamp at an angle across the top left corner of the stamped panel, using Watering Can Archival ink.
Post a Comment