Saturday, 28 January 2017

75th Birthday Parchment Card

I shared some sneak peeks of this card last week, but couldn't reveal the full card as the lovely lady for whom it was made didn't have her birthday until yesterday.  If you would like more details on the white work and my first attempt at picot edges then feel free to check them out HERE; today I'll be focussing more on the process of building up the line art from the many different Groovi plates that I used.

When I'm planning a layout, I get out all the Groovi plates that I'm thinking of using and lay them over one another to try out different looks.  Once I'm happy with the concept, I start with the element which will be furthest forward in the finished piece; in this case the butterfly from the Agapanthus plate designed by the deeply missed Jayne Nesterenko.  Once I had completed outlining the butterfly with the number 1 ball tool, I moved to the '5' in the open number set by Claritystamp and lined it up so that the butterfly was perched on the edge.  I didn't go round the entire number as I wanted the '7' to overlap in front, so I completed enough of the '5' to be able to line up the '7' and once I had outlined all round the '7' completed the '5' being careful not to cut across the other number.
The next step was adding the Alphabet Picture Frame, taking care not to go through the butterfly; the Happy Birthday and Best Wishes sentiments are from the same frame and the matching alphabet was used to spell out the name of the recipient. Once the words were in place, I added the Trellis plate and filled in the entire centre of the frame, avoiding the numbers and butterfly; the Agapanthus plate was the source of the pattern down the left hand side of the frame.  Finally, as I felt the areas around the name were a little bare, I added a flower each side and then some streamers from the A4 Wedding Cake plate.  The line art looks black as it was photographed on the Light Wave with a light source from behind, but it came out a beautiful crisp white.
It wasn't until later, having coloured the butterfly, the flower, the outside edges of the frame and the border pattern, that I decided to add the embossed dots to the numbers.  For the '5' I used the straight piercing grid and for the '7' the diagonal piercing grid.  Instead of using a piercing tool, I went over the areas within the lines of the numbers with the number 2 ball tool to create the embossed dotty pattern.  I coloured from the back, using Distress Markers in Blueprint Sketch, Salty Ocean and Squeezed Lemonade.  I won't go into details of the white work process and the Picot edging as you can check back on my previous post for that.  Once the picot edging was complete, I used narrow tape behind the coloured frame and attached the work onto a piece of the Clarity blue pearl paper, before trimming and adding to a pre made 7"x7" white card blank.
Post a Comment