Monday, 22 August 2016

Gelli Scrap Birthday

It is just over a year since I started my blog and the most viewed post is the MDF book that I decorated for my twin sister's birthday a year ago today.  Today I thought I'd share the card for this year, which started life as a gelli plate clean up sheet of copy paper.  Happy birthday sis!

 
I have been collecting the sheets of copy paper (printed on the back) that I have been using to take ghost/clean up prints from using my gelli plate with distress inks.  I decided to see if I could use one as a background sheet; the clock/cog stencil impression then led to the theme.  I had also used the sheet to mop up some Pixie powder residue, so there was a lovely sheen to the scrap which I trimmed to 19cm x 19cm.
I then went looking for stamps which fit the theme.  I chose the sentiment from the Falling Feathers stamp set by Sheena Douglass as I liked the play on words; the fact that we share a birthday and the 'time' reference makes the sentiment fit perfectly.  I stamped and heat embossed the sentiment onto an off cut of the same background piece; trimmed it and matted it onto black card, leaving a narrow border.
I then came across the 'flying watch' image from the Steampunk Border and Watch stamp set by Personal Impressions.  I didn't want to stamp directly onto the background and the image is rather fiddly to cut out, so it was stamped and heat embossed, using Versamark ink and black detail embossing powder, onto heat resistant acetate. I wasn't completely happy with the background as it still seemed a little boring. 
I used the Stitch in Time 8 inch x 8 inch Embossalicious embossing folder by Crafters Companion and rubbed gently over the pocket watch design with black gilding wax.  I deliberately left the section underneath where I was going to place the stamped image.  Once I had matted the background onto a piece of 19.5cm x 19.5cm black card, I attached the acetate using small black brads and glued the whole piece to a pre made 20cm x 20cm white card.  The sentiment was then added using foam pads for dimension.
 
Post a Comment