Tuesday, 9 August 2016

Alcohol Ink Acetate Background

I have been meaning to try this background method for ages, ever since I saw it on Sue Wilson's blog.  However it wasn't until a friend spent the afternoon making backgrounds using the same method that I had a go myself.  As I had to make a card for my husband to give to a colleague, I thought that I'd kill two birds with one stone.
 
As I didn't bother to look at the blog page before I had a go, I added the alcohol inks to the acetate, before drizzling on Glossy Accents and adding some Perfect Pearls; as a result, there are clear lines in the background where the Perfect Pearls clung to the lines of Glossy Accents.  I used heat embossable acetate as I wasn't sure when I started the project how I was going to add an image over the top.  I used alcohol inks in autumnal colours; Sunshine Yellow, Sunset Orange, Terracotta and Lettuce and added some gold Perfect Pearls.
The background was left for a day or two to completely dry before adding the wild flower silhouettes using the layering stencil by Tim Holtz and black embossing paste by Dreamweaver. 
I love the Bird Crazy stamps and dies, so chose a birdcage die (Spellbinders D-Lites Birdcage 2) and cut it out in black card.  I then decided on an appropriate bird to fit the cage and stamped it twice onto Sheena's Stamping Card using Black Soot Alcohol ink from the Distress Palette.  
The birds were coloured using Distress Crayons in Fossilized Amber, Vintage Photo, Peeled Paint, Rusty Hinge and a little Festive Berries to coordinate with the background.  The wings, eyes and beak were matted up onto the main character.
I added the bird to the cage, cutting some of the bars so that the character would sit half in and half out of the cage, to fit the theme of leaving.
The next decision was whether to put the whole piece into a square or rectangular frame.  I cut both shapes using the outermost and third Double Pierced  Noble Square and Noble Rectangle dies (B).  I chose the square frame, as although it cut down on the amount of background on show, the balance of the piece was far better  on the card (a 20cm x 20cm off white card blank).  
Gold peel offs were used to add a sentiment to the top left and bottom right hand side of the frame and once the whole thing was added to the card using foam pads, Glossy Accents were squeezed over the eyes of the bird and left to dry overnight.


 
Post a Comment