Saturday, 12 December 2015

DIY Decorative Tape

This card was directly influenced by the 'On Trend Tape' card by Sarah Engels-Greer in the June 2013 edition of Craft Stamper magazine.  I used the same colour scheme, but as I didn't have any of the stamps that were used in the magazine article, I substituted ones that were in my stash.  The other difference was that I used an A5 landscape layout; the original card was square.  I also chose not to machine stitch round the outside edge of the card.


The base card is a piece of A4 white linen card, scored and folded in half to make a landscape blank.  I used Picked Raspberry, Salty Ocean and Mustard Seed distress inks for the stamping and Mowed Lawn distress paint to add the circle impressions using the lid of the paint dabber.  To make the 'tape', I stamped randomly over a piece of A5 white stamping card.  
I didn't use acrylic blocks as I wanted a patchy effect with no obvious edges.  I used Kaisercraft texture stamps: Checker Plate with the Picked Raspberry; Bubble with the Salty Ocean and the Indigoblu Square Peg Round hole stamp with the Mustard Seed distress ink.  Once I'd added the Mowed Lawn round lid paint circles, I ensured that all the paint/ink was dry before adding tape strips to the back of the sheet leaving a small gap in between for cutting.  Once the tape had been added, I cut the sheet into 1cm strips; trimmed them to different lengths - some at an angle and inked the edges with Salty Ocean distress ink.  Once I was happy with the layout, I removed the sticky tape and stuck the pieces onto the front of the card.
The text butterfly from the Botanical Print set of the Papermania Urban Stamps was stamped twice using black Archival ink onto super smooth card; coloured using Picked Raspberry distress ink and cut out.  Before they were added to the card, I added black seed beads threaded onto thin wire, to create the body of each butterfly.  The butterflies were only glued along the centre and the wings lifted for added dimension.  Finally, a sentiment was stamped in the bottom right hand corner using Picked Raspberry distress ink.  I actually had enough strips of tape left over to make a second card!
Post a Comment