Tuesday, 6 October 2015

Die Cutting with a Difference

For this wedding card I used a mix of stamping, masking and die cutting - but with a difference.  Instead of using the whole die, I slid part of it under the image, so that the bride and groom didn't lose their heads!


The base card is a pre-made 6.75" x 6.75" white card.  I cut a piece of super smooth white card in the same size and stamped and embossed the bride and groom stamp towards the bottom left corner.  I used Versamark ink and detail silver embossing powder.  Unfortunately, most of the stamps that I used on this card (wedding rings, hearts and bride and groom) are discontinued; most people have similar stamps in their crafty stash however, so you can use the same techniques that I did.  I laid the outer die in the Tonic Studios Heart Vines base set onto the centre of the panel and marked where the die overlapped the stamped image.  Using a craft knife, I then cut around the bride and groom between these marks, until I could slide the die under the stamped image with the cutting edge facing down.  This allowed me to cut the heart shape from the front panel, without beheading the happy couple!
The image of the bride and groom was masked off and the Congratulations panel by Anna Marie Designs was repeat stamped over the entire outside section, using black Archival ink.  This stamp is suitable for many different events, as you can add any of the additional stamps provided in the set, into the gaps left for this purpose in the main stamped image, in order to personalise the congratulations for the occasion.  In this case, 'Just Married', which I stamped using Starlight Black Brilliance ink.
On a piece of 6" x 6" stamping card, I stamped the fancy heart images and the wedding rings randomly, using Victorian Velvet distress ink.  Rather than applying the ink directly from the ink pad to the stamp, I first rubbed the ink pad onto a blending mat and then picked the colour up by pressing the stamps onto the inky mat.  To provide a contrast with the 'Congratulations' panel, I lightly blended the same distress ink over the entire backing panel.  However, I wasn't happy when I overlaid the two panels and decided to add an additional layer between them.  I cut the outer fancy heart frame and the inside edge from the same set that I had used for the top panel, from a piece of 6" x 6" Kraft Core card from Tim Holtz's Nostalgic Collection; #2, to match as closely as possible to the Victorian Velvet ink.  Once I laid this piece between the other two panels, it transformed the card and framed everything beautifully.  As a final touch, I added a couple of 'Just Married' sentiments to the back panel to tie the whole thing together.  I would definitely make this card again, as it is easy to adjust the colours to fit the theme of the wedding.
Although the Kraft element of the card for the middle layer is hidden I would like this card to be considered for the Get Krafty challenge over at Ooh La La Creations, as well as the Wednesday Challenge on Simon Says Stamp in which Anything Goes.
Post a Comment