Monday, 5 October 2015

Butterflies, Butterflies

I didn't realize how many butterfly stamps and verses that I had until I made this card - and this only uses four of them!  I really like the soft effect that misting the card with glycerine/water spray before stamping creates; it makes your distress ink go further too!


The base card is made from 300gsm stamping card and is 14.8cm x 14.8cm.  I stamped the small butterfly five times along the right hand edge of the front using Tuxedo Black Memento ink, varying the angles.  The stamp, which came free with a copy of Craft Stamper magazine, is also on the Wild Meadow set by Indigoblu.  I coloured in the butterflies using ProMarkers; taking care not to saturate the card too much, as I didn't want the colour to come through to the back.  The verse panel is 9cm x 13.8cm; lightly sprayed with a mixture of 1 part glycerine to 6 parts water and rubbed into the card.  Shaded Lilac distress ink was gently blended over the panel, then the Beautiful Butterfly Background by Chloe Endean Designs was stamped over the top, using more of the same ink.  This created a really soft effect.  Once the panel was dry, the Happiness sentiment by Claritystamp was added, using black Archival ink.  
Before the panel was added to the front of the card, a piece of narrow white satin ribbon was wrapped round it towards the bottom.  The panel was laid onto the card and the left wings of all the butterflies were marked where the panel overlapped.  Using a craft knife, the wings were cut round, allowing the panel to slide into place.  At the same time, the right hand side of the butterflies were cut out, making a shaped edge to the front of the card.  The inside of the card was masked off, leaving a 4cm panel down the right hand inside edge of the card;  the same method that was used on the verse panel created the background, which can be seen behind the shaped edge of the card.
To finish, the large wooden backed butterfly stamp (HH272J) was stamped onto frosted shrink plastic, using black Archival ink; coloured in using Sakura Stardust pens; cut out and shrunk down using a heat gun.  A light dusting with an anti-static pad before heating discourages the shrink plastic to stick to itself when it starts to curl while being heated.  I always keep heating until the image is completely shrunk and finish by flattening it out with an acrylic block.  I don't use shrink plastic that often, but it is very effective.  A verse was stamped on the inside of the card; lastly, a plain panel 14.8cm x 10.5cm was glued inside the front to cover up all the 'cutting out'.
I am entering this in the Anything Goes Wednesday Challenge on Simon Says Stamp
Post a Comment